- 2 packages of yeast (1/4 ounce each)
- 3 cups warm water
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 T ground flax mixed with 3 T water (‘flax egg’)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 T vegan butter substitute softened (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 t salt
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 2 T sugar
- 5-6 cups all purpose flour
- Additional oats and butter substitute for topping
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
Combine whole wheat flour, oats, flax egg, sunflower seeds, oil, butter sub, sugar, salt, vinegar and 2 cups all purpose flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in flour one cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
Turn dough onto a floured surface for about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and cover. Set in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.
Punch dough down. Form into 12 round balls. Flatten each ball and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Brush with melted butter sub, sprinkle with additional oats, and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned.